February 02, 2008

Simultaneously Improve Your Vocabulary and Feed Starving People

The other day I came upon a site called Free Rice. The objective is simple: Play a vocabulary game that helps end world hunger. For every question you answer correctly the site donates 20 grains of rice. When I came upon the site I thought it was a nice idea, but wasn't sure if it was a legitimate. However, after some researched I have learned that the non profit site donates all of the money it receives from advertisers to the United Nations' World Food Programme who use the money to feed starving people rice.

You may be wondering how this affects you. It is a nice cause, but I'm sure you are wondering whether it is worth investing your time in. The answer is yes. As a high school student I am constantly being pressured to improve my vocabulary level by my teachers and principals. My first instinct when some pressures me to do something is to do the opposite, but they actually have a point.

In high school we are constantly remind of the SAT. We need to get decent scores to get into the prestige colleges we are interested in. This site can improve your vocabulary, which will help you with on the critical reading portion. Wouldn't you rather play a game than read a SAT book?

Reading is inevitable in high school. In every subject you need to be able to read from physics to history. You will be able to read faster if you have a larger vocabulary, because your comprehension will be better. Also, you will have better test scores, because you will be able to understand all the words in the questions.

I encourage you to check out the site. To quote the site: "Improving your vocabulary can improve your life. It is a great investment in yourself.

2 comments:

Jess said...

i donated 500 grains last night ;P

Selene said...

Has it helped your vocabulary? Did you like the site?

I'm sure starving people appreciate it. :)